Project Reflection #4
-What happened over the last cycle?
A lot has transpired since my last post. After finally deciding on my educational product, I made significant progress in its setup. I began pulling information from my source list and tweeting it on my account. I want to cover so many facets of mass incarceration, but I especially wanted to cover some statistics about my home state of Arizona. I began looking into the carceral state of Arizona specifically and posted some information on my Twitter. Other progress I made included sprucing up my profile by adding a profile photo and a header. I am just about nearing the completion of my project! I am excited at the progress I have made not just in my project but also in my other classwork. I also finished more of my literature circles and video discussions that were due.
-What did you learn (be specific!)?
I learned quite a lot in this last cycle. One of the most surprising statistics I learned was Arizona's prison population rate is higher than any democracy on Earth. We incarcerate individuals more than the overall average of the U.S., England, Japan, Mexico, France, etc. A predominant issue within the carceral state is also the disproportionate number of black men compared to other races. I learned that 39% of those incarcerated were convicted on non-violent offenses deemed not a threat to society. The punishment they received was drastically more severe than what other countries would permit. Instead of incarceration, less violent offenses could be dealt with less costly and damaging measures like community service.
-What challenges did you face?
The main challenge I faced this cycle was negating the feeling of being overwhelmed. While I anticipated an eight-week course would be quick and speedy, I didn't realize how quickly time flies. The moments when I get disorganized or slightly off track I lose my momentum. I need to realize I have come a long way in my work and am very close to the finish line. Another challenge that I faced was being unsure if my educational product was on the right track. Thankfully our professor sent out a great example of a completed educational product. My challenges aren't too great, and I am realizing I can overcome them with a little grit and determination.
-What are your next steps?
I have a few vital next steps I need to accomplish. Next week will be my final blog post, so I need to go back through my documentation and prepare my final TedTalk. I would like to post a few more time on my Twitter feed to beef up the material, and I also need to finish one more literature circle. This class has been a great learning experience and I'm looking forward to crossing the finish line!
Comments
Post a Comment